We offer some 14 subjects at AS level most of which can be studied in the Upper Sixth to A2 (A-level). Course content is prescribed by the Examination Boards and the options blocks are set to accommodate as many pupils’ subject choices as possible
On entry to the sixth form students are allocated a personal tutor, who has a major responsibility for their academic progress, behaviour and personal well-being.
Typically on offer:
English Literature, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Music, Drama
Physics, Chemistry, Biology
Sports Studies, French, German
History, Geography. Economics/Business Studies
Tuition in other languages can be arranged, currently Latin, Spanish and Cantonese for native speakers.
- Entry to the sixth form is open to those who have the desire to further their education and who have good GCSE passes. (We routinely ask for at least a grade C at GCSE in the subject, but this is not absolute and there are exceptions.)
- Most of our students study four subjects at AS but, depending on the abilities or career plans of the individual student, three or five subjects might be more appropriate.
The previous study of a subject is not always essential to be admitted into the AS course.
- AS courses are normally completed at the end of Year 12 and students are then ready to finalise choices for Year 13 A2 (A level) courses.
- Students with good AS passes are encouraged to study A2 level in 3 subjects, though individual students may elect to study more subjects or fewer.
- The timetable is constructed after students finalise their options to accommodate the preferences of as many as possible.
- Specialist support with University applications. Most upper sixth formers gain places at their first choice universities.
- Careers guidance, again, is available from the school Careers Officer and through the North Yorkshire Connexions link