Key Stage 4
We typically offer around 15 subjects. Course content is determined by the syllabuses prepared by the Examination Boards. We currently study courses prescribed by the following Examination Boards: Edexcel, AQA and OCR.
All students follow a compulsory CORE of subjects:
English Language, English Literature, Science, Mathematics, European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
They may then choose an additional 3 – 4 subjects from the following:
German, Geography, History, Sports Studies, Business Studies, French (or Extra English) Art & Design, Triple Award Science, Information & Communication Technology, Music, Drama, Design.
- Students study usually 8 or 9 subjects leading to the GCSE examinations
- For support and advice in making decisions about which options to choose we hold a Parents’ Meeting in the spring term
- Careers guidance is always available from the school Careers Officer and through the North Yorkshire Connexions link
- The timetable is tailored to meet the preferences of as many pupils as possible and most pupils have their first choices accommodated.
- Additionally, all our pupils take part in games lessons and Information Technology.
Alongside the more formal academic disciplines we aim to promote a respect for equal opportunities and human rights, and develop a responsibility for protecting the environment for future generations.